Akarist is a Circle of Thorns traitor now working with the heroes of Paragon, the first traitor Oranbega has ever had in aeons. Akarist is a renowned expert in demonic contracts, and his experience goes back to the days when the horde of the demoness Lilitu decimated the isle of Mu, more than 14000 years ago.
So far, Akarist has been an invaluable information source about the history of Oranbega, Mu, and the roots of both villain groups, as well as a number of other magical issues. This makes him a prime target for his former compatriots of the Circle of Thorns, and has made him no better in the eyes of his ancestral Mu enemies either.
Heroes can find him:
- on the mission Find Akarist, from Peter Stemitz or Allison King, during the Story Arc The Library of Souls as an Agony Mage and an Enemy. (Levels 30-34)
- on the mission Help the soul within the crystal orient itself, from Peter Stemitz or Allison King, during the Story Arc The Library of Souls as an Agony Mage and an Enemy. (Levels 30-34)
- on the mission Recover Zoria and Akarist, from Peter Stemitz or Allison King, during the Story Arc The Library of Souls as a Pet and an Ally. (Levels 30-34)
- on the mission Rescue Akarist, from Cadao Kestrel as an hostage. (Levels 35-39)
Villains may find him:
- on the mission Capture the Soul of Akarist, from Archmage Tarixus, as an Agony Mage and an Enemy. (Levels 25-29)
- on the mission Capture Akarist in another dimension, from Johnny Sonata, as an Hostage (Levels 35-39)
(In City of Heroes)
This Circle's mage gone rogue seems to be trutworthy. Certainly he's provided you with a lot of solid information. But you have to wonder whether you can really trust a man who lives in another person's body.
(In City of Villains)
The infamous Circle of Thorns traitor is your prisoner. Now you just need to escape with him.
Akarist will say the following when you encounter him:
- During the Find Akarist mission:
Before combat: I know that you are here, Hero. I know why you are here.
Combat start: This time we must fight. But should you defeat me, I may have something for you.
- During the Help the soul within the crystal orient itself mission:
Combat start: Surprised to see me again? You shouldn't be!
- During the mission Recover Zoria and Akarist, he will turn against his Oranbegan compatriots:
Akarist: For the moment, I stay my hand. Count yourself lucky, Furias.
Agony Mage: Don't make me laugh, Akarist. You're lucky we don't discorporate you.
Agony Mage: Destroy the intruder!
Akarist: For now, I will aid you against my brethen
- During the Capture the soul of Akarist mission:
Combat start: How do you like me now?
At 75% Life: Ouch!
At 50% Life: Don't make me find a new vessel!
At 25% Life: Perhaps we can work this out?
Defeated: Oh bother
After defeating a player: So sorry, chum!
- During the Kidnap Akarist mission, he can be found helping Longbow explore the strange Shadow Shard:
Akarist: It's strange.
This entire dimension is suffused with a mystic power.
As if it was all the construction of a single vast consciousness.
As if we were walking among the dreams of a god...
Longbow guard: Uh-huh.
Akarist: Oh. A villain. Let's get this over with.
Longbow guard: Not on our watch!
Longbow guard 2: Get Character!
Akarist: I can smell the stench of a demonic contract on you.
I must assume my services as an expert in that field are demanded?
Well, let's get moving before the Rularuu attack again.
Akarist: And here I am left to my own devices.
There are few things as depressing as an incompetant kidnapping.
Akarist: Very well, let's continue this.
(at the mission entrance)
Akarist Well, let's see where this leads me.
As an enemy, he has the usual powers for an Agony Mage:
Ranged, Low Smash Damage, Foe Immobilize, -Fly
|Creates a localized gravitational field strong enough to Immobilize a single foe. Crush can also bring down flying entities. This power is very accurate and deals some crushing damage over time. All mezzes used by the Agony Mage are only used when foes mez protection is turned on so either turn off mez protection to protect yourself from these high magnitude holds or deal with it and use inspirations.|| |
Ranged, Foe Hold
|Causes a single foe to experience an intensely misshapen gravitation field, rendering them unable to take any action. As previously said in crush this power will only be used when mez protection is on.|| |
Melee, Lethal/Negative, Low Damage
|This small curved short sword has been enchanted to channel negative energy damage to its victim.|| |
(Ranged, Self +Damage) Foe -Damage
|The Ruin Mage has siphoned your power and reduced your damage potential to strengthen her own.|| |
Suicide Special (Point Blank Area of Effect, Energy)
|Circle Mages will detonate themselves in a crisis, and attempt to take a few foes with them. This power is interruptible.|| |
Ally +Hit Points, Self -Hit Points
|This power has only a tiny endurance cost, but dramatically heals an ally's wounds by sacrificing some of your own health.|| |
As an ally, he has some of the powers of Fire Thoirn Caster (He could have them all, but these are the ones seen so far):
Ranged, Fire, Damage over Time, Fire
|A quick attack that throws Flares at the target. Little damage, but very fast.|| |
Ranged, Foe Hold
|Incapacitates a targeted foe at a distance by Charring him with soot and cinders around him.|| |